Monday, September 10, 2012

Zwischenmensch


'To be a Zwischenmensch is to feel at home everywhere and nowhere simultaneously.' Chaim Potok

I’m between persons just now.
I’m a Zwischenmensch.
To be honest, I’m not sure if I’m
between or betwixt; I’m just
swishing that way and this, which is
why I mention it. 

I’m a between-person, a
Zwischenmensch.  I don’t know if
I belong there or here, if I’m part of
that culture or this, hot or cool or
not so much of any school. Still, I
have to mention it. 

To be honest, I’m not sure if I’m
being between or between a being, or
even if I’ve been between;
Zwischenmensch gets you like that. 
It leaves you kind of
flat, as if that was your natural
state, which is why I mention it.

Not to be or to be: like
Hamlet I don’t really have a choice. 
Dazwischen und wischen, I’m wishing
I could be fishing in a place no one
knows; trailing, like the line, my
toes in the water, a fine occupation for
one of my kind, a Fischermensch between
fishes, swishing this way and that.

I have to mention it.  

No comments: